Here are five weight loss tips that, if you do them, will help you lose weight:
- Increase your fiber intake (get 25-35 grams per day). Foods with fiber are more filling than foods that do not have fiber. Fiber slows down the digestive process, decreasing the rise in blood sugar. Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans and peas are foods rich in fiber. Bios Life Slim has 4 grams of fiber per serving and that is one reason it helps with weight loss.
- Increase your water intake - if you wait until you are thirsty, it is too late! Often we mistake thirst for hunger, eating when we are really thirsty so try drinking a non-caloric liquid first. Water or unsweetened tea are good choices. And, 64 ounces a day is still a good place to start.
- Increase your physical activity. Our bodies are made to MOVE, not to sit all day so however you do it, start increasing your daily movement. Park further away, throw in some short walks or start a planned exercise routine. Unless your doctor has said "do not exercise", you probably do not have a good reason not to exercise. Cold weather is not a good excuse. I feel strongly about this one. I have counseled so many people that exercise NO MATTER WHAT and I have counseled people that create excuses for not exercising. It is a decision - so make it and stick to it!!!
- Think about everything you put in your mouth! If you need to, use a free smart phone app, like Lose It or Go Meals - these apps will make you realize that everything you put in your mouth has caloric value and counts!!!! Our Get Slim Now Program has a success tracker that helps hold you accountable for everything you eat, drink and even tracks your sleep. If you don't have a smart phone, look things up online or the Calorie King book is a good resource.
- Make sure your vitamin D level is adequate (if not, take a vit D supplement) and consider other options like Matcha Green Tea (improves metabolic rate) and how much sleep you are getting.
Jen Birge is a Registered Dietitian and Diabetes Educator in the Denver area and enjoys helping people achieve their weight loss goals.